Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Renew Malaysian Passport in 2 Hours

I've been putting off to to renew my passport for a while now but with the holiday trip just around the corner, I know I can't afford to delay it any longer.


Woke up early today (super early) and went to the Immigration Office in Sri-Hartamas to renew my passport. Plenty of parking space and no problem finding a good parking spot if you're early. 


The place was pretty quiet when I stepped into the building by 7.15am. 


Took the escalator up to the first floor and you'll spot people queuing. The queue wasn't long (thankfully) and waited for 15 minutes (exactly 7.30am) before the door opened and walked in to get our numbers. Remember to get your passport and your identity card ready as they will need to check it before issuing the numbers to you. 


You can get your number faster on another counter if you're above 60 years of age, pregnant, with child under the age of 2 years or people with disabilities. 


Glad to know that there's plenty of counters here for submission, collection, information and payment, which makes up for less waiting time.


I waited around 20 minutes before my number was called.  Passport sized photographs are no longer required since photo will be taken on the spot digitally. After having my photo taken and my thumbprint scanned, I was told to wait for my number (the same number you were given) to make payment at the payment counter. 


After paying RM200 for 5 years renewal, your identity card will be return back to you with payment receipt and number. You'll need these for collection later.


Was told to come back in one hour so ended up having breakfast at food court.


Since there were still time, I went to Gloria Jean's Coffee for a cup of latte. 
Glad to know there's free WiFi here and I stayed here until the time is up.


More people walked in to get their queue numbers after receiving my passport by 9am.  I was pretty happy that I was able to to finish in less than 2 hours since my last few experiences were not too great (back then I renewed my passport in Subang).

And if you're wondering, the office in Sri-Hartamas only open on weekdays and closed on weekends. My advice is to go early before they open so you can have your passport renew in 2 hours. Avoid going during school holidays and peak season. 

Hope this post help to renew your passport without any hick ups. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment